12 Jul 10 Ways to have the Confidence to be You
Do you sometimes wonder why some women seem to have unshakeable self-confidence? Do you envy their ease? Do you compare yourself to them? Do you feel inadequate and berate yourself for not being able to do what they do, or even to just be you and be proud of who you are?
STOP RIGHT THERE!!
What you’re feeling is so common. What you’re doing about it is just making it worse!
So let’s have some tips for learning how to very proudly be you and love being in your own skin.
- Be Yourself because everyone else is taken. We’ve all heard this one, but it’s so true. You are completely and truly unique – one of a kind! And I can bet there are many people in your life who adore who you are. There might just be other women out there comparing themselves to you, and wishing they had a bit of what you have!
So, don’t hide your light under a bushel. Be brave, be proud, tell yourself you are perfect just as you are.
- Comparison is the thief of all joy. Another quote I hear being talked about again and again. And boy do we beat ourselves up with this one! In ridiculous ways because often we’re not just comparing ourselves to another real woman, but to completely unreal women. Those who are touched up beyond belief in magazines, or in real life with surgery and procedures.
We end up feeling like we are not as good as the next person – whether that is due to their physical appearance, or their ability to juggle more and achieve more than us!
What are we thinking?! All of us should be aiming for progress, not perfection. And we should most definitely not measure ourselves against anyone else, in any way.
- Confidence cannot be learnt, but getting out of your comfort zone bit by bit allows you to become more confident and more fierce, as you realise your capabilities and that you can do what you set your mind to.
By pushing your boundaries, and challenging yourself, it is possible to grow your confidence. Work out what you believe you need more confidence to do / be / achieve / have, and then pick just one small step to get you moving forward and gaining momentum.
Positive affirmations might sound a bit schmaltzy, but use them right and they work!
- Positive affirmations might sound a bit schmaltzy, but use them right and they work!
Let’s just think for a minute about how much time you spend telling yourself negative things – Over and over again “I can’t” “I can’t” “I can’t”!!! YES YOU CAN!! We can do what we tell ourselves we can do. When we tell ourselves we believe in our own abilities, we really can make it happen.
So decide what it is you want to get confident with and tell yourself you can!
- Name and shame your inner negative voice. Have a listen to what your negative voice is telling you you can’t do, or you’re not good at, or you’re not confident enough. Give it a name. Acknowledge it and realise it’s just fear stopping you – it’s worried that you might fail / succeed / embarrass yourself, amongst other things.
Decide on your alter ego, and let her call the shots. Decide where you’re going and let your inner negative voice know that you’ve got this, you’re good!
- Only wear what makes you feel amazing. This may seem simple, but it’s brilliant. So often we fall back on the same tired outfits because they’re comfortable and require little thought. Wearing something that makes you feel good, sexy, and yes, confident, will boost your confidence!! Not to mention the compliments you will receive!
Surround yourself with people who lift you up.
- Surround yourself with people who lift you up. Again, seemingly obvious, but far too many people spend time in toxic company. We have so little time to spare in our busy, demanding lives, and yet some of us still give that over to people who bring them down!
Work out who your tribe is. Who makes you feel amazing. Who, even if they’re feeling challenged or you are terribly upset, can still put a smile on your face and make you happy to just be in their company? Who tells you that you are great? More of that please!
- Get a friend to write you a letter telling you how they view you – you won’t be able to help smiling. It may seem indulgent, but it is brilliant! You could write one for them too and make their day.
- Compliment someone else and feel their reaction boost your sense of confidence. It’s an ultimate feel good factor.
- Think about those people you admire. The ones who ooze confidence and leave you in awe. What is it about them that makes you feel that way? Adopt a trait that you believe makes them this way and try it on for size!
You may not find all of these speak to you, but pick whichever ones do and give it a go. Your inner confidence is just waiting to get out!