09 Aug Overwhelmed? Find out my 7 Steps to Calm It Down
The stresses and strains we face as women are never ending. Every day can present overwhelm, for many different reasons. It is not only demands from other people in our lives, but the sheer pressure we put on ourselves to do everything and be everything to everyone! But often not for ourselves.
Ever find yourself breathing rapidly, head in hands, mind spinning with all you have to do and how tired / stressed / overwhelmed you feel?!
Here are 7 easy ways to calm that overwhelm and find some peace!
- Say no. You do not have to do everything everyone asks of you. Be selective. Remember you and what you need are important too. Exercise your ‘no muscle’ and free up some physical and mental space to breath!
- Start the day right. Hands up who wakes up and instantly looks at their phone? This is a classic way to start the day in a state of overwhelm and faced with instant demands on your precious time!! Resist the temptation to do this, and instead, keep a little notebook or journal next to the bed. On waking, go to your journal first. Note down 3 things you are truly grateful for that morning, and what kind of day you will be looking forward to.
Drink water. Simple, but it works.
- Drink water. Simple, but it works. When we race through our days dosing up on too much coffee or other caffeinated drinks, eating sugary foods and not drinking enough water, it definitely makes those overwhelm feelings worse. Why? Because our bodies cannot cope – they don’t have what they need to help us cope with the stress we are experiencing. Focusing on your water intake and upping it to sufficient levels is a great way to help our bodies.
- Meditate / do yoga / walk / get out in nature. Any of these!! All are brilliant for grounding us and calming the overwhelm – even if it is only for 5 or 10 minutes.
- Brain dump. Always a winner! If you are feeling overwhelmed and have a whir of thoughts going round and round – get them down on paper and out of your head! An instant help and gives some perspective on what actually needs your attention.
Learn to breath. Learning a simple breathing technique, such as in for 7, out for 11, repeatedly, can bring an amazing calmness over body and mind.
- Learn to breath. Learning a simple breathing technique, such as in for 7, out for 11, repeatedly, can bring an amazing calmness over body and mind. Simple, easy, no equipment required. Have breathing technique, will travel!
- Laugh. Yes, really! Sometimes we just need to let go and laugh – particularly if the level of overwhelm is causing us to be stressed and irrational. Pull back, laugh at the situation, and get some perspective. Then quite possibly go back to Number 5, get it all down on paper and just focus on one thing at a time.
Here’s to less overwhelm!